Sunday 5 June 2011

Bangkok - Day 4 - The finer side of living

Woke up this morning feeling fine...got something spe... sorry

Got up had breakfast but this time opting for some more local cuisine including some raw salmon sushi and a few other delicacies.

Work went really well apart from a few technical shenanigans but we got over that pretty quickly.  After the course had finished one of our colleagues who lives just outside Bangkok had invited us over for dinner at their house.  I was completely knackered as the jet lag and work had been hanging on my eyelids for the last few hours so at bare minimum I needed a shower to wake me up.

After the shower I met up with the guys and we hopped in his car. It was about a 45 min drive to his place but was nice because it gave me a chance to see some more of bangkok other than the central part.

I had a lovely evening at their place, met his english wife and their thai children of 11 and 5, who were adorable, What was really amusing to me was that she had cooked a traditional english chicken roast! This was brilliant and delicious and made a really surreal counterbalance to where we were.  Their home is amazing, it's like one of those places you see in hollywood.  Beautiful white stone house in security gated complex with amazing pool and bbq area. If I ever end up living in a place half that nice I will be happy (I probably won't).

I didn't take any photos as 1.didn't take my camera and 2.just didn't seem appropriate!

but had a great evening with wonderful company topped of by Kem (the 11 yr old) announcing he had an electric guitar! well, that's like telling me they had a ferrari in the garage, I had to have a play. Ended up giving an ad hoc guitar lesson to boot.

Was a lovely evening and again I got real insight into what life is like for many ex pats living over here. It's not exactly a bad life!

After this I got a cab back, here is the other thing about thailand, the taxi's are so cheap! I got a 45 min journey and is cost about £2.20. I tell you if I lived in Bangkok I don't think I'd bother owning a car. Actually what am I saying, petrol is so cheap I'd probably have a V12 monster...

When I got back I didn't quite feel ready for bed and in the lobby bar they had a singer and band doing various western covers. They were really bloody good!

although the introduction into Bieber into their set was uncalled for.

Another discovery here was a bar man called (i think he said) 'Pick' who spoke pretty good english and made amazing cocktails! Ive had a few in my time but this guy really knew what he was doing, tasting / adjusting I had a couple and all were a 'taste sensation' (imagine peter kay)

At about 1am I thought enough was enough and headed up to my room to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment